Monday, July 30, 2007

Gotta' Start Somewhere

I depend on Google and the Internet to do my job. I'm a systems admin and it's hard to remember how I ever did my job without the ability to search the Internet and find people having problems just like me and their solutions to those problems. I suppose I did it more slowly. In fact, I was not a system administrator when the web was born, so that's probably the reason I can't remember what it was like.

Around 1993, when I started playing with Mosaic and installed my employer's first web server and homepage, I was just the help desk guy and also helped out with some systems stuff, some network stuff, and some database programming stuff. Now, fourteen years later (yikes!) our web page has long been in the hands of others, but the web server itself is still mine. I'm now the Unix (and sometimes VMS for what we have left) guy around here.

This blog will have some of my notes from work in it. You will likely see the more interesting, difficult, or entertaining computer problems I encounter. I have found countless solutions to problems on the net, in tech forums, help pages, and blogs like this. I've always felt like I should give back a little. This blog is my modest attempt to do that.

Of course, it's actually a selfish endeavor as it will help me remember what experience I've had and will give me an easy-to-search resource of my own past solutions if the problems pop up again.

No comments: