Monday, January 7, 2008

Eudora no longer <<Dominant>>

Late last week, I began to get this error from Eudora on my Mac:

"error while performing unknown task for <<Dominant>>"

My sponsored version of Eudora was trying every two minutes to contact adserver.eudora.com to fetch an updated advertisement. The problem is, Qualcomm no longer develops nor supports Eudora, and apparently turned off the adserver server. Without a response from the server, the Eudora client would pop up an error every couple minutes.

As a quick-n-dirty patch, I put an entry in my Mac's /etc/hosts file for "adserver.eudora.com" with an IP number that belongs to one of our local web servers and restarted Eudora. I haven't received the error since then. The access log on the web server shows that my Mac is requesting:

"POST /adjoin/playlists HTTP/1.0" 404 285

The web server is obviously replying with a 404 error, but at least Eudora doesn't timeout now. Not the best fix, but the best for now.

No comments: